Saturday, December 13, 2014

Leaving an inheritance

I have thought a little over the past several years of ministry about legacy. What will I be remembered for? Today I lost a mentor and friend. Randy and his beautiful daughter Ariana died in a freak interstate accident. My heart is heavy for myself and Shell as we personally grieve. My heart aches for his amazing wife Jennifer and his three other children. There are no words for the pain so I want to give words to the joy. 
Randy was my youth pastor and first ministry boss as I interned under him the summer of 2000. Randy had a unique way of explaining God's Word in a way that people could understand and grab on to. His passion for loving Jesus was only equalled by his determination to show teens that Jesus was worth everything. I saw in him a preacher that I wanted to be like in my ministry. He also loved his wife well. Adored is a much better term. I remember going on youth trips and seeing the longing in Randy's eyes to be home with his bride. When he performed Shell and my marriage I did think that I wanted to love Shell like Randy loved Jen. 
Proverbs 13:22 says "A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children..." The text is talking about money but I believe there is a spiritual truth too. A good man pours into his children in such a way that his grandchildren are blessed. Seeing the tributes to Randy have reminded me that that's true. If you've been blessed by any aspect of my ministry, it's because you've received an inheritance from Randy that he shared with me. An inheritance of joy in Jesus. He has his great joy now. And I would share with you the same Joy. I will see you again Ari and Randy and it will be in joy. 

I've started a gofundme account to be used by Jennifer however she sees fit. Please share and give as you feel led. 

No comments: